The twilight zone lives in my house
Well, It has not been a terribly restful break for me this year, with one lot of relatives vacating and another lot arriving I have had a house full of people the whole break.
The first lot were fine; it’s the second wave of them that I am having some difficultly with.
For people with ginormous brains they are not very socially savvy.
Example 1.
I really wanted to go to the sand sculpture – Dinotopia. We went yesterday as it was my last day of holidays. I really enjoyed it, yes it was warm, yes I got a bit sunburned, but I got the distinct impression it was slightly too low-brow for the rest of them. Rob was trying to look like he was half enjoying it for me, and looking down on it for them.
Granted it was possibly not worth the $10 to see it, maybe $5 would have been better.
Example 2.
We went and did the suit fitting exercise yesterday arvo, everyone came along (beats me why)
I then got a 20 min commentary discussion on how friendly the suit fitting attendant was and that was her job, and I guess you really have to have a good disposition to do a job like that, and she really made me feel at ease, and wasn’t the place structurally architected to make you feel prestige, and there was a check list on the back of the change room door that gave you subtle subliminal social messages and really placed messages in your social conscience that because you were wearing formal wear you should act accordingly, I should write a paper on the social conscience related to formal wear etc etc etc…
I wanted to slam the breaks on in the car and scream at them. I tried to keep out of the entire conversation.
I thought she was nice to … END OF STORY.
Example 3.
We had lunch at Henley Beach at Zoots (very bad service) 3 of got our lunch the other 3 did not. They sat for about an hour until I gently encouraged Rob to go and ask about them. They certainly were not going to.
I asked about free drinks, hence they arrived to.
Example 4.
I am trying to fit in, but when you feel outed in your own home it is difficult.
We filled up cars yesterday, I went home and got the Ute and took it back to fill, when I got home they were all in the lounge chatting. I went in to be social but there were no seats for me to sit in, and no one made moves to get up and make room on the couch. The drinks rest was down. I sat at the dining table, and read a letter we received in the mail. When that was over, no one had moved so I went out and did something else.
Now I appear unsociable and look to be avoiding them.
Assimilation time.
Rob has also become weird.
He and I had a long discussion about how uncomfortable I felt and that I was trying to fit in, but I felt they were all too competitive for me. He said he would stand by me.
That lasted about 24 hours, now he has become as obnoxious, loud, inconsiderate, non-communicative and irrational as the rest of them. It’s so nice to feel like that in your own home. I am pretty sure that no one thinks about others feelings… it’s just not on their radar.
I can’t wait until they leave and I get the man I got engaged to back.
I can see some long work days for the next two days, until I can reclaim my little castle and haven.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home