33 Days – and away we go!
Big news
Dad is moving to Rehab today in Daw Park. FINALLY!
He has been 33 days in the Stroke Unit and he has finally been given the all clear to move out (before he catches something else in there!) So Mum is heading off with him this morning.
We took him to the Botanical gardens over the weekend, which he enjoyed immensely.
It seems it is his frontal lobe that has been affected most – meaning, that he is slightly inappropriate at times, easily distracted and pretty damn funny.
His speech is not too bad either, although his sentence construction is needing work, he misses out joining words, so instead of saying “I had a shave today” he says “I shave today” but if that’s the worst of it we are pretty bloody lucky.
He can now walk with two people to stand-by assist, as he is very easily distracted. They are concerned about his concentration levels.
I suppose he will get all that worked on while in Rehab.
The rehab guy says there may be a possibility that he may not drive again due to the distraction levels, and they are not too sure about working either as he may forget if he has earthed wires or not, but that is all something to work toward. Dad has been practicing with his “clutch” foot, and has even suggested they may need an automatic car now.
For a man who spoke very few words for 62 years of his life – he is certainly making up for it now!
I am pretty happy about it, and hope it will keep improving, as we have been saving all the questionable red wine for when he gets home!

2 Comments:
Great news... have been wondering how you (and your dad) have been.
Will catch up soon hopefully....
Lea xx
Hi Lou, It's Mel from Melbourne, I am so sorry to hear that your dad had 2 strokes! Good to hear he is doing much better! Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you xxx
Post a Comment
<< Home