Meringue, or the Toilet Brush look?
Whoever said organising a wedding will be a walk in the park was fibbing!
I now understand the male genders reluctance to get even remotely involved in the planning, and being the caring and sharing type I thought, why the hell not? Something now wishes maybe I had just ploughed ahead and just given updates, not choices! (I was so hoping NOT to become a bride-zilla)
It’s been 29 days now since I have metamorphosed from girlfriend to Fiancé, and who would have thought there would have been much difference?
Let me tell you, once the in-laws to be start to get involved and all the family politics come into play, it’s enough to make you want to elope!! Dad keeps suggesting that to me …
We decided on the “Garden” thing, that way we don’t have to choose between denominations and hence offend one set of parent’s – this way they both get upset equally!
1 to the happy couple, 0 to the parents
We then decided on having the reception where we had our first date, an Indian Restaurant, funnily enough his parents and brother won’t/can’t eat Indian, neither will my dad, but if you don’t tell him, he most likely won’t notice!
1 to us, 0 to them again
Guests – well, I thought about 80, but it turns out that due to the large financial contribution by the mother-in-law to be, the list is a lot longer, due to relatives getting a priority gurnsy – now blowing out to 90-100. Relatives that I have never met and am unlikely to ever see again. I was keen not to subject wedding guests to some of my family so chose not to put them on the list, but now I’ll invite them and sit them with the other relatives so they can piss each other off! It turns out that half of his relatives don’t even talk to each other, so it should be very amusing!
0.5 to us, 1 to the them.
My sister, having been through this before, said “just endure them, thank them for the crappy gifts and never see them again”. (It seems to have worked for her)
At least I have got the dress.
1 to me! (Mum liked it in the end, except she also liked a lot of things I didn’t!! I also subjected Dad to a few dresses, he only the liked that one to!)
After much wriggling, standing around in my undies, sighing, saying “eeeek” and “Uuugh” I picked one out. I must say that the majority of bridal attendants – i.e. the sales girls were ok, except for one, who was from one of the major bridal houses… quite condescending, somehow expected me to not have a ‘profession’ and kept calling me a ‘clever girl’ simply for the fact that I was a nurse… quite weird.
Another thing … those gowns are frickin’ heavy! You wouldn’t think so, just looking at them!
The parents have been staying with us for a few weeks, Dad had his specialist appointments, all is going ok in that department, he is just clinically depressed, but the drugs are definitely helping.
I suppose the main cause, apart from the actual stroke is that he had not thought about what to do when he retired, and now that he has been forced into it, he is having great difficulty finding a purpose. I promised to help him work on that one …
Bert will be turning two in November, we will have to have another birthday party for him, preferably at the pub where we can have a drink to!
Stay tuned for the next instalment of wedding planning bliss!

2 Comments:
Whatever happened to the barby in the back yard....? :P Dont forget mate its your (U & Rob's) day, bugger the rest of em!!!!!!!
all who have married are nodding heads in sympathy with you!!!
we have all been there too... especially with the family invites - they suck the most!
Am feeling for you dearie - good luck and keep writing - even tho it sucks for you... its very amusing for us!
lea xx
Post a Comment
<< Home