Monday, December 10, 2007

A Celebrated Celebrant

We went and saw a lady last week on recommendation on the lady chaplain here at work. She said she was quite nice.
Initially I thought it was a meet and greet session, but lo and behold, somehow we were hoodwinked into bringing birth certificates and filling in a lot of paper work!
Turns out she was an Anglican minister. Apparently the first one ever ordained.

I thought it was ok to start with until she gave us the order of service booklets and said what was negotiable and what was NON negotiable. (not alot was negotiable)

There was some very weird stuff in there.

For starters, you say “I will” not “I do” which I thought was a bit strange. It has kind of been in every wedding I have been to, that you say “I do” (even if you say I will first)
This was a NON negotiable bit.

There was also a sermon that we had no control over, and then we had to choose a prayer to end it with, which was choosing from a very limited list. NON negotiable.

The vows – NON negotiable.

Readings we could pick, but it had to be vetted by her.

After leaving there, we both were a bit dumb struck, I wasn’t particularly happy with it. Next morning over coffee, we decided it was WAY too structured for us and it would not reflect our personalities at all. We wanted a bit of fun light-hearted humour and definitely casual, not rigid etc.

So, Rob called her and called it off.
She said she was disappointed we had not chosen her, but we are after something a bit different and she didn’t quite make the grade.

After much mad searching we now have an appointment with a celebrant whose husband is at Woodside, so I think she should be able to get our sense of humour!

We were toying with some unusual vows, we just have to find the right words!

1 Comments:

At 9:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!! I say go for it - do it - dont invite those you dont want to attend...
having been in (ahem... started) a HUGE family argument and subsequent family DIVIDE for a year - i was forced to reconcile ( for nanna's sake....hmmmmm), Now i say what I want and I dont regret it. Too bad if some bitchy/weird (aunt) reli is not invited to a family dinner... so what... i dont have to apologise for not wanting them there - you cant go to every dinner/event ever - some you gotta miss out on!
Tis your day - invite them to the ceremony only - its been done before - just ask us bout another Rover wedding we attended last april 06...happened there... noses were out of joint for a while... but life goes on.
You just have to hold your head up high and say " my decision - if you dont like it dont come".
Be confident and firm with your decision and they will have no words to come back with. Treat em like a 3 yr old.....as soon as you show signs of weakness they know they can win and WILL try.
Yes it is totally your day and totally your decision.
Whew is getting long....still not finished tho! Hee hee (you dont have much work to do - do you?)

It is such a shame (changing tack) that you all didnt attend our wedding - we had gags-laughter-shrieks-clapping and jon kissed my brother when he said you may now kiss the bride.
Our celebrant was lovely and willing to go along with anything! We wrote our own vows (I promised not to ask any more than 3 questions in any movie (not kept) and jon promised to pick up his socks and jocks (not kept either))
We wrote out the whole ceremony even adding in the word PAUSE for different gags... and he did it word for word....
he lives just out of Stirling, and is gay.... want his no....
Wow should of emailed..... sorry!! love lea xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home