Corporate Psycho Looney Bin!
I have just returned from a two day "love in" with my 'section' in Melb.
Faaaark. What a brain melting and blood pressure rising exercise that was! I just do not know what to think.
The whole world has gone mad .... Corporation wanking! Why the fuck do I have to sit around thinking up 'strategy's' for retaining S&T staff and thinking about plans for them to get promoted and thinking up schemes to 'implement' so they don't feel so bad about NOT getting promoted ?????? Here I am, part of the 'admin' section, which by the way, have NO chance of ever getting higher than the level I am now, unless I become a state/national manager etc, which is not going to happen! So, after 4 years I am at the top of my 'level', and that, as we say, is it. Goodnight nurse.
Rubbish I say!
The whole exercise was only useful for the meeting of people, and being able to put faces to names.
It was nice not to have to e-mail back and forward a heap of crap, and just sit down and actually talk to them face to face. So much more efficient.
I actually learned what another section did (so to speak) but I am still a little unclear on the reasons behind it.
And what the hell is "culture" anyway ???? and why the hell do we need to do a "study" on it ? For crying out loud.... Some of this stuff was admittedly WAY over my head, but on the other hand I was looking at it from an 'outsider' perspective, what a waste of money, time and energy. As Mel Gibson would say a "WOFTAM"!
I am educated, I have a degree, but this stuff ... I just couldn't see the point. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough....
And then, we get on to our own section .. We had about an hour and a half together, and boy, did that feel like an ambush.
The national Poo Bah is Sooooooo full of himself, he decides that we need a name and identity change .... why? what are we going to call ourselves, we need a new logo etc etc.
What the? OH&S ... it says it all really.
Who is going to identify with anything else ??? But I get the impression that it has already been decided and we were just "informed" or "asked" to participate to make us feel like we contributed. So, no matter what we come up with, we are going to end up being called a totally wanky name and have to have the dumbest logo I have ever seen in my life! For fucks sake, I would have had way more fun and been way more productive plucking my nasal hair.
Did you see Catalyst last Thursday night ... all about the corporate psychopath. We let me tell you we have one of those. He the national poo bah, and a complete tool. He dresses snappy, and is suave .. or thinks he is. (number 1) He takes credit for other's work and says it's his own (number 2) He has no regard for other's feelings (number 3) he will be-little you in company of your work mates in order to dis-credit you (number4) I can't remember the other 2, but he did them.
I did however thrash his Lilly white arse in pool .. Thanks to mispent nights in the PNG jungle, I learnt a few skills.
He was so childish about it to, saying it was a career limiting move .. I just replied "yes, but I am very employable" He had no come back, so I let him win the next game. He then proceeded to tell everyone he beat me, and I wasn't as good as I said. Hence I got him back later in a 3 straight win thrashing. I let him get at least one ball in ... no way I wanted to see him pants down running around the table!! eeeek! Stupid old poo bah.
I was so jack of it, by the time I got to the airport .... Just pass that bottle of shiraz over and get me the hell home.
But I must say it was a very picturesque place ... a bit chilly, but nice.
Check out a nature shot from this morning. The path at the back of the complex.

1 Comments:
Lou Lou, if I could be so bold as to direct you to a post my Doctor wrote a few weeks ago. I believe it's a similar series of circumstances, though not in the corporate realm, as you stated in this post, so perhaps it can act as a kind of home-made remedy or at least a way of seeing that you're not alone in this saga.
If you have a spare five minutes, check it out here.
If it's any consolation, your pain of this grooved futility caused me to smile, not because you were pained but because of how you expressed yourself.
Take care.
Post a Comment
<< Home